Chocolate and avocado for breakfast? That’s talking my language! This chocolate avocado smoothie bowl is a great choice for morning energy and has two of my favorite things, chocolate and avocado! Avocado makes this smoothie bowl creamy and filling, and it’s so pretty! I added a little Greek yogurt for extra protein, but feel free to use protein nut milk if dairy is not your thing.
The good in this?
What are the health benefits of chocolate?
When consumed in moderation, dark chocolate provides flavanols and other antioxidants as well as heart healthy fats. Learn more about chocolate here: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/dark-chocolate/.
Why use avocado in smoothies?
Heart healthy fats from avocado, as well as chia seeds and almonds have been shown to decrease risk of heart disease and help defend against some cancers. Avocado is also a good source of fiber which is perfect to add to morning smoothies, such as this chocolate avocado smoothie bowl.
What toppings should you add to a smoothie bowl
- Fresh fruit – The strawberries and kiwi I used are high in Vitamin C which is a nutrient that acts as an antioxidant and protects the immune system. However, use whatever fruit you have on hand.
- Granola – you can make your own granola or store bought. Try this recipe here: Pepita and Cashew Granola
- Shredded Coconut – choose unsweetened shredded coconut
- Nuts/Seeds/Nut butter – chia seeds, flaxseed, hemp hearts, almond butter, peanut butter etc. will add a nutrient boost to your bowl
The strawberries and kiwi are high in Vitamin C which is a nutrient that acts as an antioxidant and protects the immune system. Feel free to add whatever seasonal fruit you’d like to your morning bowl.
How to make a smoothie bowl
To make a good smoothie bowl, you need similar ingredients as you would use in a smoothie. First, since smoothie bowls have toppings, you want to make sure it is thick, and your toppings won’t be swimming in your bowl. Second, because of this, you use less liquid which means you need a durable blender. Lastly, frozen fruit is a must and items such as yogurt and avocado add a nice touch.
Check out this smoothie bowl also: Strawberry Zucchini Smoothie Bowl
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Bowl
- 1 small Avocado pitted and scooped
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small banana frozen
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- chia seeds optional
- slivered almonds optional
- kiwi sliced, optional
- strawberries sliced, optional
- In a blender, add avocado, cocoa powder, banana, honey, almond milk and Greek yogurt, if desired. Blend until smooth. Divide mixture into two bowls and top each with chia seeds, almonds, and additional fruit.