Nothing says Fall like a good bowl of chili. This Smokey Lentil and Quinoa Chili is hearty and filling and comes together in a slow cooker. It gets its smokiness from Spanish smoked paprika and chili pepper salsa. Just like any chili, it freezes well and takes little effort in the kitchen. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, high in fiber and naturally low in saturated fat. Quinoa is a whole grain and is also a good source of plant protein. Personally, I can’t eat chili without cornbread, but add your own toppings and sides as you please.
The good in this? This chili is 100% plant based. Plant based diets have been shown to lower the risk heart disease, obesity, and certain cancers. Aim to incorporate more meatless meals throughout the week!
Smoky Lentil Quinoa Chili (Slow Cooker)
- 1 cup Red Quinoa
- 1 cup Green Lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1 14 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- chili pepper salsa optional
- fresh cilantro optional
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook on low for 4-5 hours. To serve, portion about 1 1/2 c in a bowl and top with salsa and cilantro.