Taco bowls are essential quick dinner meals that translate into super delicious leftover lunches. This taco bowl has roasted sweet potatoes as the base in place of standard rice and so much good flavor. My favorite toppings for taco bowls is fresh cilantro, Greek yogurt and sometimes cheese. These bowls are vegan as is but can easily be adapted to include lean animal protein such as chicken or ground turkey! When I meal prepped, I crushed a few Organic Blue Corn Tortilla chips on top of each bowl for some texture .
The good in this? Let’s talk beans! Beans are a great source of fiber and iron. Soluble fiber not only helps with satiety but also can help lower cholesterol levels. Iron is essential for red blood cell production and important for pregnant and breastfeeding women as well as children due to risk of deficiency.
Continuing with the National Nutrition Month theme…
Grains: tortilla chips
Vegetable: sweet potato, tomatoes, kale
Dairy: Greek yogurt, cheese
Roasted Sweet Potato Taco Bowl
- 1 lb diced sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Optional additional toppings lime, cilantro, green onions, cheese, tortilla chips, Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large bowl, combine olive oil, sweet potatoes, cumin, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Toss to coat potatoes evenly. Spread mixture on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes.
- In medium non-stick skillet, sauté kale about 3-5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and remaining spices and simmer for another 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- Build taco bowl with 3/4 cup of sweet potatoes, 1 cup of bean mixture and desired toppings.