Hey guys and gals!
March is National Nutrition Month (NNM)! Woohoo! All month long, I’ll be focusing on recipes that incorporate all 5 food groups! The theme is general this year so be sure to subscribe to see the fun, tasty and nutritious food I create!
A couple of weeks ago, I meal prepped for my parents which meant I didn’t cook for myself much. But I completely enjoyed dining out and trying a few new Memphis spots! Meal prepping for them left me with some meatless chorizo crumbles that I don’t typically eat so I was excited to create some magic with them.
I wanted to encourage my parents to eat more meatless meals, but they’re not at that point yet. I decided to make some chili with meatless crumbles to start them off. They loved it so it was a success!
Now, let’s get to this recipe. Stuffed peppers are very common and are usually made with a Mexican style theme. (although you can literally stuff a pepper with ANYTHING!) These are vegetarian “Chorizo”, Swiss Chard and Mango stuffed peppers. They also have quinoa for even more protein. These are undoubtedly my favorite way to eat a stuffed pepper. If you are not feeling the meatless chorizo crumbles, feel free to use ground beef or ground turkey instead.
The good in this? Let’s talk Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is great for boosting the immune system. The peppers, Swiss chard and mangoes are all good sources of Vitamin C! This is a great way to add variety to your meals this National Nutrition Month.
We always tend to think about oranges when referencing Vitamin C, but here is a meal packed with Vitamin C with no oranges in sight!
Protein: Chorizo Crumbles
Vegetables: Swiss Chard
Dairy: Monterrey Jack Cheese
Vegetarian Chorizo, Swiss Chard and Mango Stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers any color *note, yellow bell peppers have a higher Vitamin C content
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Vegetarian Chorizo Crumbles
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked Red Quinoa
- 1 fresh mango peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice bell peppers in half vertically and remove core and seeds. Place peppers on baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and roast for 10 minutes. While peppers are in the oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet. Add chorizo, Swiss Chard and salt and sauté for 5 minutes. remove from heat and stir in cooked quinoa and chopped mango. Remove peppers from oven and divide chorizo mixture evenly amongst the 6 pepper halves. Top each pepper with about 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. Serve warm. Serving size is 2 pepper halves.