I love when summer rolls around and cherries are readily available. Cherries are great to eat with breakfast alongside a PB and J or boiled eggs. I pack them as a side to go with whatever I decide to have for lunch or eat them solo as a snack.
I call this a “Power Bowl” because it contains carbohydrates to fuel a workout, protein to promote muscle synthesis and unsaturated fat for long term energy. What I love about this bowl is that it can fit into any specific needs. It’s already gluten free. I cooked my quinoa with bone broth in a rice cooker, but keep it vegan/vegetarian by using vegetable broth and opting out of the Feta. For my meat lovers, this would be super tasty with a little shredded chicken or salmon. I used basil from my garden and used about 12 leaves. Feel free to add as much as you like. The more basil the better in my opinion. If you follow the recipe, it provides 450 calories, 42 g carbohydrate, 29g fat (only 5 g saturated fat) and 13 g of protein per serving (3 servings per recipe).
However, eat as much as you think your body needs! Be intuitive :). And this reheats really well so I highly recommend doing so.
Let me know what y’all think!
Quinoa, Pecan and Cherry Power Bowl
- 2 cups cooked quinoa slightly cooled
- 1 cup fresh dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Using a cherry pitter, pit cherries and slice in half. If you don’t have a cherry pitter, you can use the back of a clean paintbrush or a chopstick. Combine warm quinoa, pecans, cherries, basil, and feta in large bowl and stir to combine. Drizzle with tahini and serve. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.