Growing up, breakfast pizza was my favorite. Mainly because my mom didn’t make it often. We would have it with biscuits as the crust and it usually had sausage and American cheese in it. I was reminiscing about my favorite foods as a child and I realized that I had not eaten a breakfast pizza in AGES, which led me to create a twist, Mediterranean Breakfast Pizza, on my favorite childhood breakfast.
How to make a Mediterranean breakfast pizza
To make this pizza you need:
- Favorite biscuits – homemade or store bought
- Eggs – I used large, cage-free
- Milk – any milk will work. I used 2%
- Spices – salt and pepper to keep it simple
- Vegetables – I used mushrooms, spinach, onion, and roasted red peppers
- Cheese – crumbled feta works well in this recipe
What can I add to a breakfast pizza?
The toppings for any pizza are endless. For a breakfast pizza, eggs are providing protein but adding sausage or bacon is always an option. Aim for turkey bacon or sausage most of the time to reduce saturated fat intake. Switch it up by swapping the types of cheese used or even make it vegan by subbing the eggs.
What are some quick breakfast options?
This meal takes almost an hour to cook on the front end but it reheats great for weekly meal prep. Other meals that I recommend for grab and go breakfast are overnight oats, baked oatmeal, egg muffins, yogurt parfaits, avocado toast. Try some of these breakfast options on the blog.
Best ways to reheat.
To reheat, place a slice on a microwave safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Reheat on high for 30 seconds. To reheat in the oven, preheat oven to 300 and warm for 15-20 minutes.
How to store this.
This Mediterranean Breakfast Pizza can be stored for 3-4 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 3 months for best flavor.
This recipe is fairly low in calories. Adding fresh fruit with a glass of milk or soy milk can add even more nutrients and give you enough calories to start the day. Remember to be mindful and eat more if you’re hungry. Listen to your body. I hope y’all try this out!
Mediterranean Breakfast Pizza
- cast iron or oven safe pan
- 1 16.3 ounce can refrigerated biscuit dough preferably larger biscuits
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 roasted red peppers jarred
- 1 cup fresh spinach packed
- 1 green onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- parsley optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare vegetables by slicing mushrooms, red peppers and chopping spinach. Set aside,
- In large bowl, add 5 eggs and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Add vegetables to egg mixture and combine.
- Open biscuits and press into oven safe dish, pressing together to form a single circle of dough. Press up the sides as much as possible.
- Pour egg mixture on top of biscuits. Place in oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until eggs are set in center.